A true test of a good pizza is the crust and making your own pizza base can be well, very addictive. While I haven’t perfected the art of making a great pizza base, I do like to experiment with what I can find in my pantry. I had a couple of naans at home and decided they would be great substitute for a Pizza base, they are soft, thin and have a nice crunchy crust. What I liked even more, V and I could each have our own individual serving as opposed to fighting for the last slice.
I used a Spinach Pesto, sautéed peppers, and some fresh mozzarella for that gooey finish. Most parts of this recipe can be made ahead and assembled whenever you want; I had it for breakfast the next day. Like with most pizza you change the toppings based on your preference
The spinach pesto recipe is inspired from Kevin’s Blog (closet cooking). It’s a versatile recipe and I decided to use it for my pizza. Unlike the traditional pesto this is a Walnut and feta cheese pesto. The salty crumbly feel of Feta that I adore so much adds a greek spin to the pesto. Kevin in his recipe had used a combination of dill, parsley and mint. However, I decided to go with basil since I love the flavor.
I also sautéed some peppers with oregano and onion. It added a ton of flavor and colour to my pizza.
Pizza Naan with Spinach Pesto
For the Spinach Pesto – Adapted from Closet cooking
(makes 1 cup)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon toasted walnut
- ¼ cup feta
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lemon or 1 lime (zest and juice)
- 1 green chilly
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put everything in a food processor except salt and blend till you get a smooth pesto consistency.
2. Feta is salty, taste before adding the salt.
For the Topping
- ½ yellow pepper
- ½ red pepper
- ½ onion
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to taste
1. Slice the yellow, red pepper and the onions.
2. In a pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Add the sliced onion and sauté till it is translucent.
4. Add the peppers and sauté for another 2 mins.
5. Turn off the heat and sprinkle the oregano and salt.
6. Let it cool for a little while before assembling the pizza.
To assemble the Pizza Naan
- 4 Naans (plain or garlic)
- Spinach pesto
- Fresh mozzarella
- Sautéed peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400o F.
2. Lightly brush some water on one side of the naan and lay it on the baking sheet.
3. Slather the pizza with the pesto, I finished a cup of pesto for 4 naan pizzas.
4. Arrange the peppers, olives and mozzarella on top.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or till the crust becomes slightly brown and the cheese has all melted
6. You can broil for another 2 minutes for the cheese to turn golden brown, I do not have a broil function in my oven.
7. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil if desired.